In addition to its many course offerings, the department provides numerous opportunities for field-oriented studies, independent research, internships, and jobs.
These include several field-based courses and access for independent research at:
- Arnot Teaching and Research Forest near Ithaca
- Little Moose Field Station in the Adirondacks
- Cornell Biological Field Station on Oneida Lake near Syracuse
- Hubbard Brook Experimental Forest in New Hampshire
- numerous natural areas near campus.
Part-time jobs in the research and extension programs of many faculty members offer students opportunities for career-related work experience. Many department faculty members also work closely with students who wish to pursue a research honors degree.