Adjunct Assistant Professor
Dr. Milder is an interdisciplinary conservation scientist whose work focuses on developing and evaluating cutting-edge strategies to improve the integration of food and fiber production, ecosystem conservation, and human wellbeing in rural landscapes. In his primary role as Chief Scientist at Rainforest Alliance, he works to develop science-based sustainability standards, programs, and strategies to support the organization’s mission of conserving biodiversity and improving livelihoods by transforming land use practices, business practices and consumer behavior. He also leads monitoring, analysis, and collaboration with research partners to evaluate effects of Rainforest Alliance’s programs on people and the environment. In his role as Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Department of Natural Resources, Dr. Milder works on collaborative research projects related to sustainability initiatives in tropical agriculture and forestry production systems and value chains, as well as solutions for fostering more productive and resilient tropical agricultural landscapes. He is also available as a resource to students who wish to learn more about careers and opportunities in the conservation non-profit sector.
- Milder, J., Newsom, D., Sierra, C., & Bahn, V. (2016). Reducing tourism's threats to biodiversity: effects of a voluntary sustainability standard and training program on 106 Latin American hotels, lodges and guesthouses. Journal of Sustainable Tourism. 24:14.
- Garbach, K., Milder, J., DeClerck, F., Montenegro de Wit, M., Driscoll, L., & Gemmill-Herren, B. (2016). Examining multi-functionality for crop yield and ecosystem services in five systems of agroecological intensification. International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability. 15:11-28.
- Milder, J., Arbuthnot, M., Blackman, A., Brooks, S., Giovannucci, D., Gross, L., Kennedy, E., Domives, K., Lambin, E., Lee, A., Meyer, D., Newton, P., Phalan, B., Schroth, G., Semroc, B., Rikxoort, H., & Zrust, M. (2015). An agenda for assessing and improving conservation impacts of sustainability standards in tropical agriculture. Conservation Biology. 29:309-320.
- Tscharntke, T., Milder, J., Schroth, G., Clough, Y., DeClerck, F., Waldron, A., Rice, R., & Ghazoul, J. (2015). Conserving biodiversity through certification of tropical agroforestry crops at local and landscape scales. Conservation Letters. 8:14-23.
- Milder, J., Hart, A., Dobie, P., Minai, J., & Zaleski, C. (2014). Integrated landscape initiatives for African agriculture, development, and conservation: a region-wide assessment. World Development. 54:68-80.